In an interview with Hush-Kit, the alternative aviation magazine, Bing Chandler, a former Lynx Observer from the Joint Helicopter Command and the British Army Air Corps Center, talks about his top 10 attack helicopters.
10. Eurocopter/Airbus Helicopters Tiger, a Franco-Germain effort, earns the number 10 spot because of a very cool scene in the James Bond film, Goldeneye.
9. HAL Light Combat Helicopter, an Indian copter developed with the help of the former MBB, has unknown potential despite its typical formulaic design.
8. Denel Rooivalk, a massive South African copter with an empty weight of 5739 kg, is able to operate for prolonged periods without sophisticated support (because of the arms embargo enacted on South Africa by the UN for its apartheid policies).
7. Agusta/Augusta Westland/Leonardo Helicopters Mangusta, an Italian copter, also has a formulaic design, but has been continuously upgraded and improved.
6. CAIC Z-10, a multi-national effort also with a formulaic design, has proven itself a pretty effective light attack helicopter.
5. Kamov Ka-50/52, a Russian copter, despite its limited maneuverability, is noted for its unique design and for being the world’s first copter with a rescue ejection system.
4. Mil Mi-24/25/35, a Russian copter, the Mil Mi-24/25/35 has seen a lot of conflict since the Ethiopian insurgencies in 1978 and had many chances to prove itself with its speed, tough armor, weaponry, and ability to deploy up to 8 troops.
3. Mil Mi-28N, a successor to the Mil Mi-24 that didn’t garner much interest from the Russian government, has had continuous development that not only improved the navigation equipment, but allows for night and all-weather operation.
2. Bell AH-1Z Viper, based on the SuperCobra, is a copter that has taken a legacy of excellence and managed to make it better, reducing vibration levels, adding weapons, etc.
1. Hughes/McDonnell Douglas/Boeing AH-64D/E Apache/Guardian, the most famous and most prolific of attack copters, has been the standard to beat since its first flight about 50 years ago as a result of continuous development and upgrades.
ASAP Logistic Solutions, owned and operated by ASAP Semiconductor, is your premier online distributor of McDonnell Douglas parts, Bell Helicopter parts, and Agusta Westland parts. We have a wide selection of parts to choose from and are always ready to help find what you’re looking for. If you’re interested in obtaining a quote, contact the sales department at www.asap-logisticsolutions.com or call +1-412-212-0606.